My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the Boston Marathon tragedy yesterday. I am very relieved that everyone I knew there is safe. My deepest sympathies to everyone involved; victims, participants, first responders and family members. May God grant us all peace.
I thought it a good time to think about the positive and count my many blessings. Once of them is my son, Kyle. He is thirteen and loves to cook and bake, which of course warms my heart and I am so thankful that we share this love of baking. I think he will make some woman very happy someday with his skills in the kitchen :)
On Sunday, Kyle came to me and said he wanted to take on a baking project… he wanted to make something that neither one of has made before. I said, “great, go for it!” He decided to look through Pinterest and the boards I have created because often times I sit with him and point out things that I’d like to try some day. Being the chocolate lover he is I had an idea the direction he was going :) I reminded him to check his ingredients to make sure we had everything on hand, nothing more frustrating than beginning a recipe only to find out that you’re missing an ingredient or two. I stood by for consultation, but he didn’t really need that much :)
He chose a chocolate caramel brownie recipe, and yes, he made the brownies from scratch which is something that I rarely do!
Kyle’s Chocolate Chip Caramel Brownies
For the brownies:
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 12 ounce package of dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1 TBL vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
For the caramel filling
1 package of Kraft caramel bits (tiny little balls found in baking aisle which I love for convenience!)
1/4 cup of vanilla-flavored coffee creamer (because who really has heavy cream on hand all the time?!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Spray pan and on top of parchment with cooking spray.
3. Slowly melt 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a glass bowl at 50% power in 1 minute intervals until chocolate is smooth and melted. Stir between each interval so as to not overcook.
4. Wisk in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until combined.
5. Spread half of brownie batter in pan and bake for 15-18 minutes.
6. Cool brownies
7. Combine caramels and creamer in another glass bowl and microwave at a reduced power level, until melted, do in 30-45 second intervals, stirring in between.
8. Spread the caramel mixture over the cooled brownies
9. Using 2 spoons, place remaining brownie dough in piles over caramel mixture.
10. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
11. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until set and slightly pulling away from the sides of pan.
12. Cool on a rack and then, cool in refrigerate for a couple hours until fully set and firm.
13. Lift the entire slab from the pan with the parchment paper (this step is when the parchment paper comes in very handy!)
14. Peel back parchment and slice into squares
15. Enjoy your magical creation :)
Recipe adapted from http://www.sixsistersstuff.com