Happy Memorial Day weekend my friends!
A “Quick and Easy Asparagus Soup” recipe to use up the abundance of asparagus from my CSA this week. This recipe is pretty basic, but could be jazzed up with sautéed mushrooms, bits of ham or bacon or some Parmesan crisps.
2 pounds of asparagus, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 TBL light canola oil spread
1 sweet yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup of dry white wine
3 cups of fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base (a great product for jazzing up soup recipes)
1. In a medium-sized soup pot, melt the canola spread and add the onion and garlic. Saute until onion is tender about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
2. Add white wine and cook until mostly evaporated.
3. Add chopped asparagus and the chicken broth. Season with salt (and pepper if you’re a fan) and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
4. Add cream cheese.
5. Using an immersion blender, puree until desired thickness. I tend to like mine not completely liquefied. You can also wait until the soup is cooled a bit and process in your regular blender.
6. Enjoy! A generous 1 cup serving is 4 WW PointsPlus
Happy Spring cooking :)
* Recipe adapted from http://www.skinnychef.com